Today is National Lasagna Day, from the list of fun silly “holidays”!
Any excuse to make a lasagna, I’d say!
Lasagna with Eggplant and Zucchini Noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced 1/8″ thick)
- 1 medium eggplant (sliced 1/8″ thick)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch herbes de provence
- Brown meat in a medium frying pan, and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 5 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes and basil. Simmer on low for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini and eggplant into 1/8″ thick slices, lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes, then blot with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg. Stir well.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread 1 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process, alternating between zucchini and eggplant, until all your ingredients are used up. The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover the foil, add the remaining mozzarella cheese and a pinch of herbes de provence, and bake 30 minutes
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Jay Mendelsohn is the co-founder of Stargazer Hollow, and he heads up the farming operation here. He cares for all of the vegetables, trees, herbs, fruits, and animals here at the farm.
Jay is also a long-time professional chef, and creates the recipe of the week as well as passing on tips for vegetable preparation and pairings!