Summer Veggies Paella
- 1 Zucchini (cut into ½” slices and quartered)
- 1 small Eggplant (cut into ½” slices and quartered)
- 1 Pint Green Beans (chopped into 1” segments)
- 1 lb Heirloom Tomato (seeded and cut into thick wedges)
- 1 ear of Corn (removed from cob)
- 1 Bell Pepper (chopped)
- ½ C Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 T Tomato Paste
- 2 t Paprika
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 t Sea Salt
- 1 lb Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 lb Mussels (rinsed and debearded)
- 2 Chicken Thighs (boneless, roughly chopped)
- 3 C Bomba rice
- 2 C Bone Broth
- 1 C White Wine
- 1 1/2 C Water
- 3 T Olive Oil
- Zest + juice of 1 Lemon
- Minced parsley for garnish
- Lay out ingredients.
- Heat 2T olive oil in a large frying pan (cast iron is ideal) at medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add rice to pan and toss to coat and cook an additional 3 minutes.
Slowly add water, wine, and bone broth while stirring. Add saffron, paprika, bell pepper, zucchini, beans, eggplant, and salt.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add mussels and cook covered for approximately 5 minutes, until all have opened.
While the rice is cooking, in a medium frying pan, heat 1T olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken, tomato paste, and lemon juice and zest. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and ensure both sides are cooked, approximately 5 minutes.
- Combine meats with rice mixture in large frying pan, and add sliced heirloom tomato and corn. Allow to simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve, garnished with minced parsley.
Jay Mendelsohn is the co-founder of Stargazer Hollow, and he heads up the farming operation here. He cares for all of the vegetables, trees, herbs, fruits, and animals here at the farm.
Jay is also a long-time professional chef, and creates the recipe of the week as well as passing on tips for vegetable preparation and pairings!